Dress Test for Modest Women : By Mary Martini (Church of Christ Articles).
Look at yourself in a full length mirror – front, back and sideways!
Ask yourself the following:
- Will what I am wearing bring God glory (1 Corinthians 10:31; Exodus 28:40, 43; Isaiah 61:3) and portray me as a godly woman? (1 Timothy 2:9,10) Yes or no?
- Does what I am wearing meet or exceed God’s standard for being modest? (Genesis 3:21; Exodus 20:26; 28:40-43) Yes or no? You know!
- Is it appropriate and respectful? (Genesis 41:14; Matthew 22:11-14) When I dress, would someone think I was going to a picnic or other social activity, or can they really tell I am displaying my best in service to God? (Exodus 20:26)
- Will my clothing help or hurt my influence for Christ? (Romans 13:10; 15:3; Philippians 2:3, 4) Am I concerned about the way other think about me?
- Is it too short? Sit down, cross your legs, bend over, reach up and squat down. At any time, does the garment reveal any of your leg above your knees? (Exodus 28:42) With tops and blouses, is your midriff showing at any time? (Genesis 3:21)
- Is it too tight? Am I revealing my body form (which highlights or emphasizes my feminine sexuality), thus tantalizing, enticing, or tempting men (young or old) to have impure thoughts (Matthew 18:7; Galatians 5:19 – lasciviousness)?
- Is it too sheer? Can I see my skin or undergarments through the material? (John 21:7– undergarments exposed = naked in God’s eyes)
- Is the neckline too low? Bend over – what can you see? Sit. Have another female tell you what they can see while looking down at you. This is a real situation – be honest.
- If sleeveless, are my undergarments visible? (John 21:7) Why? What does it say about me? What does it say about the God I am trying to serve with my clothing?
- Is what I am wearing stating that I am dressed to be chaste (pure and holy) or chased (by men)? What do I really want for my self-esteem? God’s approval or man?
- Because of how I am dressed, would someone mistake me for a worldly woman? (A harlot – Proverbs 7:10; Genesis 38:15)
- Will it encourage a man to lust after me, thus causing him to stumble and sin? (Romans 14:13; 1 Corinthians 8:9; Matthew 5:27, 28) So, do I want them to sin?
God holds me responsible for immoral reactions IF I dress inappropriately
(Yes, I am liable for the reactions produced in others by MY appearance)
(Matthew 5:27-28; 14:1-12)